This little "Pole-Pig" was way too fat so he went in for surgery.
Here it is on my truck. In it's original state it weighed 281 pounds
First I drained the 14 gallons of certified PCB free oil (without spilling any). Once it was drained I was able to see the LV connections, the 7.2/14.4kv switch, and the top of the transformer. The switch was pulled out and tossed.
Now to get the transformer out of the can. This required a chain, winch, and a helper.
The center section of the can was marked for removal. I used my Sawzall and cut the can into three pieces (tossing the center section).
Here is the can after re-welding and adding wheels. I now need to grind the welds and re-paint the can. Notice how much shorter it is.
Re-installing the transformer.
This shows how much I removed.
The Pig now weighs 191 pounds (That's a weight savings of 90 pounds). The shorter can also lowers the CG and generally makes it easier to transport.
I rigged up a simple balance scale to weigh it.
And here's its new home.
Note: Some wonder if it still works. The answer is yes (I've ran it up to 20kva which is the absolute maximum I can supply).
This pig was sold and since that time has been in the LA Times (with it's new owner). It's also made a couple trips to "Burning Man' and other events.
Questions and comments Copyright © 1997,2006 Brian D. Basura This site was last updated 04/02/06